Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripture Titbits
01-20-2018, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2018, 12:13 AM by Broken2.)
Scripture Titbits
Titbit: a small piece of tasty food

In this thread we would like to examine individual text taken from various parts of the bible many of which may be familiar to us but in whose details we may have possibly overlooked something. At times this may simply require defining the meaning behind a specific word or phrase in the text while at other times we may have need to compare our text with other similar texts (comparing scripture with scripture) in order to determine the true meaning of the text.

Some of these texts (that is the ones supplied by myself) I came across while engaged in other studies, some quite interesting barring the fact that I had not fully considered them individually but for the most part simply in the context of the study in which they were quoted.

You likewise may have some particular text which intrigued you upon further investigation which you would like to share or discuss, so feel free to join in. Remember this thread is centered for the most part on individual texts of interest, not on a full discourse or study. If you wish to compare your text with other texts try keeping it to two or three of the most pertinent supporting texts. Remember “…a threefold cord is not quickly broken” (Eccl 4:12) that is to say more than three witnesses generally prove a point “…by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.” Matt 18:16

I will start us out with the following text,

"I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how am I straightened (in difficulty) until it be accomplished." Luke 12:50 KJV

A dipping and I have to be dipped; and how I am pressed, till may be finished.” Emphatic Diaglott (The Original Greek Text)

But I have an Immersion to undergo; and how am I pressed, till it may be consummated.” Interlineary Word for Word English Translation

Straightened: Strong’s # 4912; press together, confine, compel, am afflicted with.

Parallel translations: constrained, heavily burdened, distressed, consumed, afflicted, suffer, anguished, pent-up, hard pressed.

What about you, have you found the consecrated life such a life as described by these words of our Lord?

As you come to the final (years, days or hours) of your pilgrimage here (for none of us knows the exact time in which we are to consummate our sacrifice), have you found yourself more and more in difficulty, in that straightened condition?

If you have any real, vital connection with Jesus Christ, then this has been your experience. It was so with our Lord. The nearer he came to the day when he was to consummate this whole matter of his consecration, and his baptism into death, the more he was in difficulty, the more he was in this straightened condition.”

How often we have felt “pressed on every side”, pressed by the world, pressed by our flesh, and pressed by the Adversary.

Always bear in mind that as it was with the Master so too with those who follow in his footsteps, the servant is not above his Master, as he was tested in all points, likewise are we (Matt 10:24, 25), the difference however is that the Master trod the path alone (save for the Father's engorgement), but we have a helper to aid us, one who has gone before and has overcome. Even if all the world abandons us he is faithful and will never leave us.
01-25-2018, 02:07 PM,
RE: Scripture Titbits
Titbit: a small piece tasty of food

Our Text,

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things HAVE passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Cor 5:17)

"Old things" -- are passing away?

Are they? "Old things have passed away."

What about in your situation, have they passed away or are they in process of passing away?

Have you relinquished all your worldly desires and ambitions, everything that drives the rest of mankind (careers, jobs, family, friends, financial stability, social status, the honor of men, etc., etc.) sacrificing every earthly opportunity, that you might obtain a more excellent inheritance, setting your sights on those things which are above?

If old things have not passed away, if you’re still harboring desires for these kinds of things can it truly be said that you are in Christ?

Perhaps something to ponder
01-28-2018, 01:01 AM,

Our text,

And those who are Christ’s HAVE crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.” Gal 5:24

"They that are Christ's are crucifying the flesh." Is that what the apostle said? No! "They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh." Have you done it yet? That is the proposition. If you are Christ's, then you have done it. If you have not crucified the old man, the earthly aims, hopes and ambitions, if he is not dead, then you are not Christ's...

"And they that are Christ's" -- not those that want to be, intend to be, not hope to be, not like to be, not think they will be, but they that are Christ's -- "have crucified the flesh" -- the earthly hopes, aims and ambitions. He puts it in the past, then. We understand from this and other Scriptures that we are not in any true sense Christ's until this has taken place in our experience, until we have crucified the old man, until he is dead, buried with Christ by baptism into his death, and our affections are set on things above.”

"For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4).

John assures us that overcoming the world is a fact, but that our faith is the deciding factor. When we stand in faith we cannot help but overcome -- because Christ is faithful. The choice is yours. Will you believe that God is greater than your sin?
02-01-2018, 11:51 PM,

Knowing this that our old man (the human nature) WAS (past tense) crucified (died) with Him that the body of sin might be done away with that we should no longer be slaves of sin.” Rom 6:6

“There is what our friends did not see. That is what those who went out from us could not realize or accept. "That the body of sin might be destroyed (die), that henceforth we should not serve sin." Our humanity (and everything pertaining to it) is crucified with the humanity of our Lord. The great sin-offering is then complete with Jesus the head and the church as his body.

What for? That the sin of the world -- that great body of sin -- might be destroyed; and you and I have the opportunity of entering with our dear Redeemer. That is what the apostle said, and it is for you and me, and for every spirit-begotten one to enter with Jesus Christ into this great work of taking away the sin of the world.”

What did Christ die for?

Well, he died that the body of sin might be destroyed.

What do you die for?

That the body of sin might be destroyed, how many bodies of sin are there? Only one, there is but one body of sin. What do you mean? I mean that sin is personified. We are living under a reign of sin.

“The Apostle, of course, is using figurative language just as we do sometimes when we speak of the man of sin. It does not mean an actual man, a single man, but a great institution, that which is contrary to the divine law; and so here, a different figure is used: he speaks of the body of sin in contrast with the body of righteousness.” Q650:2

It is not a person, it is not a man. Sin that is reigning is here used as a figure of speech, and the apostle says that Christ died with a view to destroying this body of sin in the world. And what are you giving your life for? Where does your life come in? You also are obliged to destroy this body of sin, this great sin system with which we have to do. As the apostle says, "You have given up your very life with Christ that you might share with him in destroying this great body of sin that has been raining as a great king over mankind.” Q45